Saturday 23 April 2011

when we were young.

I have some very fond memories of my childhood and often think back to when I was younger when I need to put a smile on my face.

Christmas time was always my favourite time of year, as the whole family would get together and play cricket or volleyball in the backyard after eating a delicious lunch.  My mum would make a piñata every year full of presents for the whole family, a tradition I would love to introduce when we are all older.

I always looked forward to Friday nights as it was the night Dad would take us to watch the soccer and have pizza, pasta and ribs for dinner.  I remember after dinner, Rhylea and I would find the old bones from the ribs and pretend they were dinosaur bones, imagining we were world famous paleontologists.  Kind of gross now that I think about it, but we had so much fun and thinking about it always makes me happy.

I remember when my Granda wasn't very well, he would rest in his bedroom.  I would often times feel sad that he was on his own and would watch television with him.  I remember one time in particular, we were watching the English football highlights and it was the Merseyside clash between Liverpool and Everton in 1997.  Granda told me all about Robbie Fowler and what a sensational player he was, how Redknapp's amazing goal saw Liverpool win the match 1-0 and explained the flow of the game in a way that has stayed with me ever since.  Ever since that night, I have loved Liverpool and will always value that time I spent with my Granda.

During our visits to my grandparents house, we also played Uno cards with my Grandma.  I loved going to Grandma and Granda's for the Uno games, the amazing orange juice that seemed to only be available at their house and the assortment of treats she would offer us from the fridge.

Nanny and Poppy took care of us before and after school as our Mum and Dad had long days and would start and finish well outside of school hours.  I remember Poppy would pick us up from school every afternoon with a sandwich Nanny made for us.  She was quite inventive with some of the sandwiches she made, like orange sandwiches, but my absolute favourite was her peanut butter and honey ones.  They tasted like caramel on bread and were the yummiest sandwiches I've ever had.
School holidays were so much fun at Nanny and Poppy's house and one of the best memories I had of Pop involved eating watermelon and watching the cricket during the Summer holidays.      

I also remember visiting Nanny and Poppy's neighbour, Molly, every afternoon after school.  She had the sweetest beagle, Holly, who would cuddle up to us every visit.  

I cherish these memories and hope that we can create similar memories for my babies.



No comments:

Post a Comment